Tuesday, March 11, 2008

GREENIE #7

I've seen 2ReVert on a lot of other blogs recently so I'm totally amped that they are participating in the Greenies. I mean these guys make jewelry out of recycled skateboards. I just think about all those skaters boys I dated in high school and how cool it would have been to wear this stuff back then! Anyway, please go check out their shop and the interview below because they are totally rad.From their profile: "ECO-FRIENDLY COMMITMENT:“2ReVert” is very conscious of the environment. We are very grateful that we our located in a province in Canada that is committed to recycling and reducing the waste in our balefills (aka: landfill, dump, etc.). We use as much of the broken, old, worn out skateboard decks as we can, then we take all scraps to the local Waste Management Park for further reuse."

1. When did you decide to start making eco-friendly stuff and what triggered your going green? 2ReVert is a team effort (my husband & I together). I have been in the recycling industry (working in Administration) since it came to our province in 1996. Recycling has always been a part of my life, and it just fits for us.

2. What recycled, reused, or eco-concious materials do you typically use? What is your favorite? We make jewelry out of skateboards. I love all the colours in the decks, and I love to ponder where the deck travelled, what the markings mean, and why someone wrote something on it. I love the history that it holds, and the fact that we can keep it going.

3. What non-art or craft related things do you try to do to lead an eco-savvy life? We have an amazing recycling and composting program in our town, so that part is easy. We do other things, like using CFL bulbs, reusable shopping totes, purchasing 100% post-consumer recycled paper (along with toilet tissue), using cloth napkins, washing only full loads of laundry and driving an energy efficient car. Of course we're always looking for new ways to reduce our impact on our world... so if you have any drop us a line!

4. What is the one thing you wish people would do more of to contribute to the green cause?I wish people would recycle and compost more. Our community is amazing, and we hit the 50% reduction of waste goal back in 2000, but more can be done. It irks me to hear someone say that they just can't be bothered to recycle or compost.

5. Do you have a green hero? Artist or environmentalist or just uber-eco friend? I would have to say I love Ed Begley Jr, his show is great and the fact that he was an eco-hero prior to it becoming mainstream just makes him so dang dreamy (shhh... don't tell my husband)!
Yep, it's official, you guys are the coolest. Thank you for participating!

No comments: