Friday, March 14, 2008

GREENIE #10

Aurelia's main focus and love is photography but, like many of us, she is also a lover of crafts in general. Using recycled materials and her own photography she creates unique notebooks and gifts. Visit her shop here, her blog here, and her great interview below.
1. When did you decide to start making eco-friendly stuff and what triggered your going green?I've always been attracted to eco-friendly items on etsy, so it just made sense to start making them myself when I could. I do have to say that "going green" was something that really clicked with me when I found myself pregnant with my son a few years ago. Becoming a mother really changed how I viewed life, the world, sustainability, wastefulness, and the environment.

2. What recycled, reused, or eco-concious materials do you typically use? What is your favorite? Since my shop is focused on photography, I've been using recycled paper (some from old books), photos, and old journals to make notebooks. Recently I've started making a recycled bowl from magazine pages. I have made several of them for my own use around the house and it's a great way to put junky magazines to good use. I'm also a big fan of reusing old wool sweaters (the ones no one else will buy at the thrift store because of holes) and felting them for some of my personal sewing projects.
3. What non-art or craft related things do you try to do to lead an eco-savvy life? We try to cut down on our waste by recycling and composting. We also try to use reusable items to clean, like rags and towels instead of disposable products. I also like to use friendly cleansers (like vinegar) instead of harsh cleaning products. We are also cloth diapering our son.

4. What is the one thing you wish people would do more of to contribute to the green cause? I wish people would just admit that it is something we all need to contribute to in some way. I can understand why not everyone is cut out for cloth diapering, but then try to find another way to cut down on disposable products in your home. We can't just ignore the problem or rely on someone else to fix it. If everyone would take small steps then by the time our children are adults our world could be in a different situation than it is now.

5. Do you have a green hero? Artist or environmentalist or just uber-eco friend?
I really love the work of Lisa of http://lilfishstudios.etsy.com/ -- Everything in her shop is just lovely and she definitely creates her items from recycled/reused materials. Even her packaging is recycled (tissue paper from old vintage patterns instead of buying new) and it's still beautiful. She is proof that recycled does not mean junky!


Way to go Week #2! Thank you to everyone for participating and reading! If you want to join in on the fun just to to the very first post and comment with a link to you eco-stuff! Thanks!

1 comment:

erin, maker of chimes said...

Great photos, love the recycled books too!