Monday, March 10, 2008

GREENIE #6

Brandywine Design specializes in handcrafted, eco-friendly candles made with lead-free wicks and all natural, renewable wax. Recycled packaging is used whenever possible. And, my favorite part (I wish ALL Etsy sellers offered this but most will if you ask because Etsy sellers rock), if you're shopping locally (and you should) you can contact her for pick-up instead of paying for shipping (better yet - bike to meet her!).
1. When did you decide to start making eco-friendly stuff and what triggered your going green? I originally learned how to make candles using paraffin wax. I started using all-natural wax sometime in 2006. Constantly handling the wax and burning the candles for my own enjoyment is what triggered the switch. I make them, smell them, burn them, sell them, and give them as gifts. It just made since that I would use materials I would be comfortable handling.

2. What recycled, reused, or eco-conscious materials do you typically use? What is your favorite? I use recycled paper, packaging, and shipping materials. I use all-natural waxes made from palm, soy, beeswax, or an all-natural blend. I re-use tins, glass jars, and other heat-safe containers and give them a second life as a candle. My favorite is the all-natural wax blend. It is so smooth and creamy sometimes I want to eat it!

3. What non-art or craft related things do you try to do to lead an eco-savvy life? Last year we switched 95% of the bulbs in our home to CFL bulbs. We recycle constantly at home. Instead of using plastic bottles to carry water, I have a beloved collection of green glass Perrier bottles that can be washed in the dishwasher and re-used, lids and all. I just recently started carrying reusable bags to the grocery store. One of the bags was actually made from a recycled billboard! In general I try not to be wasteful.

4. What is the one thing you wish people would do more of to contribute to the green cause? Recycle. It’s such a simple thing separating items that can be recycled, reused, or even composted instead of placing them into the trash. I imagine by not placing these items in our own trash we could reduce landfill volume considerably.
5. Do you have a green hero? Artist or environmentalist or just uber-eco friend? Why yes I do. He is Larry Larson, founder of Larry’s Beans. A local business owner whose professional accomplishments and environmental stewardship I greatly admire. And whose beans I’m greatly addicted to! 100% Fair Trade, Shade Grown, Organic or Transitional Organic, delicious tasting coffee. Be sure to check out sustainability school and the veggie-bus, here http://larrysbeans.com/

Make sure to check out the website too -http://www.brandywinedesign.net/ for more great stuff!
Thanks for joining me on my second week of Greenies! Last week was so much fun and there is just more to come. If you want to particpate click on that link over there to the right (or go down to the very first post) and follow the instructions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brandywine says:
"My favorite is the all-natural wax blend. It is so smooth and creamy sometimes I want to eat it!"
Yes, some of her candles look quite delicious, especially some of the votives - they look like little truffles...........yum!
I think that the really cool thing about reading these interviews is to find out that there so so many good and aware people out there doing their bit for the planet.

erin, maker of chimes said...

These candles smell sooooo good. Love the new ones that she's making in the recycled containers too.